Getting A Permit
A minor is a person under 18 years of age. Minors must have their application for a driver license or any change of license class signed by their parents or legal guardians. If you are between the ages of 15 and a half to 18, live in California, and want to obtain a driver’s license; you will have to follow few steps:
- Complete the online driver’s education course and receive the Training Certificate
- Take the written test at the DMV by completing the following steps:
- You can make an appointment online by clicking on this highlighted link for the DMV. You can walk-in with no appointment but must take the test by 4:30 p.m.
- Certificate of Education
- Birth certificate or passport (originals only)
- DL44 – DMV application (both parents must sign)
- $31.00 – DMV application fee
- Enroll for behind-the-wheel training. Your permit is not valid until a driving school instructor signs the permit. Schedule your lesson shortly after your permit test.
- Complete the minimum six hours of driving lessons. Upon completion, you will get a Certificate. You also need to complete fifty hours (ten at night) with your parents or someone over 25 years old with a CA license.
- In order to get your license, it is time to Pass the DMV road test. You will need:
- Permit – must hold for six months
- Certificate of Driver’s Education
- Certificate of Completion of Driver’s Training
- Vehicle Registration
- Proof of Insurance for the car you are driving.